Wow, time just flies. I can't believe it's already Monday again and time for another radio show! I spent a few days in Palm Springs last week visiting doctors who carry Thorne Research products and I'm consistently inspired by them. I met with one doctor who's one of 50+ physicians at Eisenhower Medical Center who practices integrative medicine there. The cool thing is, the other physicians all send their patients to him to learn about how to change their diets and lifestyles to make permanent changes in their health. There IS a shift occurring in the world of medicine and I believe and hope that we will continue to move from sick care and disease management to HEALTH care!
Tonight I'm interviewing Dr. Alan Christianson, coauthor of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Thyroid Disease.
If you're feeling sluggish, can't lose weight, just feel run down, you might have low thyroid function. Did you know that Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism was the 3rd most prescribed drug in the US in 2011? Did you also know that the most common cause is Hashimoto's, an autoimmune condition? Tonight, we will break everything down and Dr. Christianson will answer these questions and more:
- What is the best diet for optimal thyroid health?
- How does thyroid disease affect people?
- Which thyroid markers should you get tested for if you suspect you have a problem?
- What is the difference between hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's hypothyroidism?
You can tune in live tonight at 5pm PST or catch the replay later at the same link.
You can also listen to it on iTunes. Go to your iTunes store, click on podcasts, search for Elevate Your Energy, and subscribe for free. On your phone, download the Podcasts app and you can easily search for it and subscribe there too.
Speaking of Dr. Christianson, I wanted to share this cool event with you that he's a part of. JJ Virgin, my mentor and friend, is once again hosting her 7 Days with 7 Celebrity Docs event. You have the opportunity to listen to an amazing interview JJ did with top medical experts. You can listen to it right here: http://bit.ly/12LgKt2
The event itself runs from May 8 through May 15 and each day JJ will feature a webinar with one of the 7 Celebrity Docs. Don't worry if you can't tune in for the broadcast, she will offer 48 hour replays for each webinar as well.
Who are the Docs?
Dr. Sara Gottfried is the author of The NY Times bestseller, "The Hormone Cure." She's quite possibly the only Harvard trained gynecologist & hormone specialist teaching yoga and using it in her hormone balancing program! She's been in Cosmo, Glamour, O Magazine and on The Ricki Lake Show and 20/20!
Dr. Hyla Cass has appeared on The View & Dr. Oz. She's the author of 8 books including "The Addicted Brain and How to Break Free." She reveals how to deal with addiction naturally, including things we may not have realized we are addicted to - like food & shopping!
Dr. Frank Lipman has been seen on Access Hollywood and Extra and is the go-to doc of top models and fashionistas in NYC. He's known for his powerful detox programs (which get raves from celebs like Kyra Sedgwick!).
Dr. Anna Cabeca is an international speaker and leader on regenerative medicine who's helping thousands of women with her Sexual CPR course. She specializes in bio-identical hormone replacement therapy and natural alternatives and sexual and reproductive health.
Dr. Alan Christianson is the author of "The Idiot's Guide to Thyroid Disease," and has appeared on The Today Show, The Doctors, CNN and Shape Magazine. He specializes in turning around the toughest thyroid cases including celebrity patients like Gena Lee Nolin from Baywatch. He is an avid mountain unicyclist. (Yes you read that right!)
Dr. William Davis is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of "Wheat Belly." He's appeared on the Dr. Oz Show, Live with Kelly, CBS News and others. He has helped hundreds of thousands lose the wheat and lose the weight!
Dr. Michael Finkelstein has been featured in The New York Times, CNN, Martha Stewart Living Radio, and ABC News. He teaches us that simply asking the right questions can create powerful health transformations!
To tune in, sign up right here: http://bit.ly/12LgKt2
Have you ever wondered what actually happens inside your body when you eat gluten? Here's a clip from the interview with Dr. Thomas O'Bryan. To catch the entire show, go to http://www.blogtalkradio.com/elevateyourenergy/2013/03/28/all-about-gluten-with-dr-tom-obryan.
Last night's show with Julie Matthews rocked!! To order her book Nourishing Hope for Autism, her online course Cooking to Heal, and more, go to www.nourishinghope.com.
We answered questions like:
- What are the best diets for someone with autism?
- How do environmental toxins play a role in the development of autism?
- Should children with autism take supplements?
and many more!
The topic that keeps coming up every single show is toxins in our skincare products. Well, there IS a solution. Even the natural and organic brands at your health food store still contain potentially harmful ingredients. Many of these are endocrine disruptors.
Thorne Organics products do not contain any of these ingredients to the left. Switch over your shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, and lotion. You can get a code to purchase Thorne Organics through www.thorne.com by emailing me at email@example.com.
You can also ask your doctor, your local pharmacy, and your local health food store to carry it!
I interviewed Dr. Thomas O'Bryan on my radio show tonight. It was awesome! Dr. Thomas O'Bryan is an internationally recognized speaker and workshop leader specializing in Gluten Sensitivity and Celiac Disease. His passion is in teaching the many manifestations of Gluten Sensitivity and Celiac Disease as they occur inside and outside of the intestines.
I love that he broke down the concepts in simple terms. We talked about the differences between gluten sensitive and celiac disease, what gluten actually does in the body, how consuming gluten can lead to autoimmune disease, the link between infertility and gluten, and so much more. I was blown away by what he shared!
You can find out more about Dr. O'Bryan and find a Certified Gluten Practitioner on his website http://www.thedr.com. You can find out more about Cyrex labs at www.cyrexlabs.com. Let me know what you thought of the show!
I recorded my first radio show with the amazing Dr. Sara Gottfried! She is a natural hormone expert, Harvard-educated physician, keynote speaker, and author of The Hormone Cure: Reclaim Balance, Sleep, Sex Drive, and Vitality Naturally with the Gottfried Protocol, which just hit the New York Times Bestseller list yesterday!
We talked about the most common hormonal imbalances, why you shouldn't wait till menopause to think about your hormones, hypothyroidism, PCOS, environmental endocrine disruptors, birth control pills, and so many more great topics. I didn't even finish asking her half the questions I had written down.
Let me know what you think of the show. Sara's team is also giving away copies of her book to 2 lucky listeners! Like the Facebook page - www.facebook.com/elevateyourenergy and share the link to the show on your Facebook page and you'll be entered to win.
I'm launching my very own radio show!!! If you've followed me for a while, you know I love Sean Croxton's Underground Wellness Radio and have hosted it a handful of times. In my job with Thorne Research, I get to meet really amazing doctors and other healthcare practitioners all the time. When I texted Sean for the umpteenth time that he should have a certain doctor whose lecture I was at on the show, he said "Why don't you start your own show?" So here we are!
We actually kick off this coming Thursday with Dr. Sara Gottfried, author of The Hormone Cure - Reclaim Balance, Sleep, Sex Drive, & Vitality Naturally with the Gottfried Protocol. If you have any questions related to this - bioidentical hormones, periods, menopause, birth control pills, etc - please post them on the facebook page. The interview will air on Thursday, March 21st at 5pm.
You can listen at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/elevateyourenergy/2013/03/22/the-hormone-cure-with-dr-sara-gottfried
It will also be available on iTunes after that and I will keep you posted on how to find it.
To read a FREE excerpt of the book, you can go to: https://sh965.infusionsoft.com/go/excerpt/elevateyourenergy/
Next week on March 27th, I will have Dr. Thomas O'Bryan on the show to answer any questions you've ever had about gluten - like what is gluten sensitivity? Do people really have it or is it a fad? If I'm not sensitive to gluten, can I still eat it? Again, please submit any questions you have for the doc to me and I'll get them answered on the show.
In other exciting news, my website is being completely redone so bear with me as I go through some changes with that.
I have a new Facebook page and you can get all the info about the radio show on there at www.facebook.com/elevateyourenergy.
I'd LOVE it if you LIKED it!
I sent this out in my last ezine and got some great responses! One message said, "I just made the chicken breast recipe you sent out- thank you for that! It worked great! The chicken came out yummy and not dry at all."
You know when you make chicken and it just gets dry, especially when eaten as leftovers. Not when you prepare it this way! The directions are from www.thekitchn.com, I modified the ingredients just a bit.
- 1 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup almond meal/flour (instead of regular flour)
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped herbs (optional)
- about 1-2 tbsp coconut oil (I replaced the olive oil/ butter combo)
1. Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness with the handle or flat of a knife.
2. Mix about a half teaspoon of salt in with the almond meal along with a little pepper. Chop the herbs finely, if using, and mix in as well.
3. Quickly dredge the chicken breasts in the almond meal, so that they are just lightly dusted with it.
4. Heat the sauté pan over medium-high heat. When it is quite hot, add the coconut oil. Let it melt, and swirl the pan.
5. Turn the heat to medium. Add the chicken breasts. Cook for just about 1 minute to help them get a little golden on one side (you are not actually searing or browning them). Then flip each chicken breast over.
6. Turn the heat to low. Put the lid on the pan. Set a timer for 10 minutes, and walk away. Do not lift the lid; do not peek.
7. After 10 minutes have elapsed, turn off the heat. Reset the timer for 10 minutes and leave the chicken breasts in the pan. Again, do not lift the lid; do not peek.
8. After the 10 minutes are up, take the lid off, and tada! Soft, tender, juicy chicken breasts that aren't dried out in the least. Doublecheck them to make sure there is no pink in the middle. Slice and eat.
I've been traveling quite a bit and am on the go throughout the day so it's important to keep eating well while on the run!
Even when I'm on the go, I try to make sure I'm eating foods that will keep my blood sugar balanced and my energy high.
Some of the things I like to carry with me are:
- hardboiled eggs (Trader Joe's even carries free range hardboiled eggs in a bag - easy!!)
- fruits - apples, oranges, berries (also yummy with nut butter - try Justin's portable single serving almond butter)
- veggies - cucumber, snowpeas
- pre-cooked chicken sausages (keep a little cooler with you)
- raw nuts (my favorites are macadamia and almonds)
- Larabars (just fruit and nuts in the ingredients)
- GoodonYa Bar (made in San Diego from only good ingredients)
- this requires a little more assembly but take a can of wild Alaskan salmon (skinless and boneless) and mash it up with a whole avocado - grab some seaweed and scoop the salmon/avocado mixture into it
- leftovers - I've been known to make a HUGE serving of my pasta sauce below and put it into a bunch of Pyrex containers and eat that over the course of a weekend when traveling
- cans of sardines - not everyone loves these but they are so portable and when you don't want to spend $30 on room service, this works!
- organic beef jerky
Do you have any snacks/meals you like to carry with you?